Thursday, August 31, 2006

It is appointed unto man . . .

Hebrews 9:
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.


A long article in the New York Times recently dealt with the mystery of aging. They can't find a genetic OR enviromental link that can predict whether an individual will live a long time. This brought to mind the verse above. Death is an appointment -- with God!

Though we can do things to increase our chances, such as reach and maintain an ideal weight, we can't ignore the appointment with God. This life on earth is a very short part of our existence. Our carbon-based lifespan is still, on average, just where it was in David's day some 3000 years ago:

Psalm 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.


My parents are in those years, and my father-in-law is 80. I have an aunt who just died in her upper eighties. Her sister died several years back. Each life is a separate combination of genetics and enviroment, of choices and attitudes, but mostly of a relationship with the Living God.

Will I live to be over a hundred? I have had a "feeling" that I would, though no one in my family tree has made it past ninety. My health has been exceptional even though I am overweight. My blood pressure is textbook 120/80 and my chloresterol always checks out in the safe range (though higher than optimum). I am seldom sick, but I am having unusual symptoms of late which I need to have checked out.

But even then, I know that I am "invincible" until the Lord is through with me. However, even in "old age" I may become feeble to learn humility! :-(

No comments: