Sunday, July 09, 2006

Notes from my Bible

This morning, our associate pastor surveyed the message of the 119th psalm, reading and commenting on four of the 22 sections. While he was teaching, I jotted down an alliterated "message" of my own to summarize the message of the latter four verses of section Beth.

Psalm 119 BETH.

9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Or as I jotted in the margin:

  1. Recite the Word. After you have hidden God's word in your heart (v. 11), don't hesitate to speak it out loud. Let it be part of your witness to other people, letting them know what the Word of God says on important topics.
  2. Rejoice in living the Word. Don't consider God's Word as a "burden" to your lifestyle. Enjoy being a child of God.
  3. Remember (or as the verse says Respect) the Word. The concept of "meditating" is to chew on it, getting all there is out of it. To swallow too quickly can choke you up; having meditated we can know our actions honor our God.
  4. Relish the Word. As in point 2, but exhibitting an inner peace. We need to truly enjoy what God has told us in his word. This is the essense of trusting Him.

I must admit, it is satisfying to have such insight while reading God's word. Oh, if I could live the word consistently. But then, it is not by my works that I am saved, but by the Grace of the God to whom the psalmist prays: "O LORD, teach me your statutes." (verse 12) If I can practice what I have preached - Recite, Rejoice, Remember, and Relish His Word - I can know that "peace that surpasses all understanding" (Phil. 4:7).

No comments: