Friday, July 21, 2006

It's just not right

Providencially, I was exposed to a toy today that just didn't seem right. The toy itself has been around awhile - I had one once when I was younger (already an adult, but a mere "kid at heart"). The toy is a "virtual pet" - an electronic game teaching responsibility to kids before entrusting them to the real thing. Mine was a bird, and I lost it -- so it died of neglect. :-(

Anyway, this version is from Kids Only, Inc. The thing that bothered me was what I found on the back of the package. Listed among the virtual pets were a "boy" and a "girl"! I don't know about you, but to me that's just not right! What foods would the game include to feed the virtual child? And would they play games of skill, or just do "tricks" like the other animals? And, honestly, a "kept" child is NOT the message I want to give to MY grandson.

No comments: