Monday, September 17, 2012

Happy New Year!


eu·pho·ny (yōō'fз-nē) n., pl. eu·pho·nies. Agreeable sound, especially in the phonetic quality of words. --eu·phon'ic (yōō-fŏn'ĭk) adj. --eu·phon'i·cal·ly adv.

From what I gather from this definition, this would include lyrics that are well enunciated and pleasant to hear.  Literally, the word is composed of two parts from the Greek original: eu (good) + phonia (sound).  Phonetics is the study of, or the system of the sounds of speech.  A phonetic "alphabet" helps those dedicated to this discipline to reproduce what is heard into written form that can be read to reproduce said speech.

Euphony can be applied to any pleasant sounds (such as rain on the roof, the crackling of a fire, or any other sound that brings pleasant thoughts).  This is, of course, in the ear of the hearer.  I doubt, for example, if the squealing of brakes would be euphony to anyone except maybe an  "ambulance chaser," but who am I to judge? :-)

I would be remiss if I did not announce the pleasant words to all Jews, Messianic and otherwise, if I did not speak the pleasant words "L'Shana Tova" on this Rosh HaShanah, 5773.  I hope that these words are pleasant to any who may read this, for that is my sincerest wish.  To those who are not up on Jewish Holidays, September 16-18 (sundown to sundown, about 48 hours) is the two-day celebration of the New Year on the Jewish civil calendar (Biblical seventh month - religious calendar).

I suppose that was somewhat of a stretch from a random word to a blog, but I wrote as I felt "lead" and there you go! "Chag Sameach"! (Happy Holidays!)

  [Transliterations courtesy of About.com]


No comments: