Thursday, September 06, 2012

Biblical dieting

lis·some also lis·som (lĭś·эm) adj. 1. Easily bent; supple. 2. Having the ability to move with ease; limber. --liś·some·ly adv. --liś·some·ness n.

Another word of the day just in time for football season!  I doubt if we will hear the word among the thousands of words in commentary during the broadcast games, but one avid fans might keep an ear open for.  I confess that I don't watch or listen to much football these days, but I am sure quite a few of my friends out there do so "religiously."

My days of lissomeness are far in the past, if I could ever say that I had that quality.  I thinned up at around 6 years old and again at around 30.  Given that spread, I should have slimmed down again back in 2007, but it didn't happen!  Oh well, I don't think I want to wait until 2031 to get serious about it, so there is no better time than now - only 5 years into the 24-year cycle.

Some say this is good advise (a bit out of context!):

Lev. 7:23
Ye shall eat no manner of fat, of ox, or of sheep, or of goat.

Both fat and blood were forbidden to be eaten (though fat could be used for other puposes).  In another place fat is said to "belong to the LORD."  In forbidding fat, Yahweh was preventing people from "famine-proofing" themselves, making that most common of judgements more effective.  This was not meant to be for all societies, though the prohibition of blood seems to have meant to be universal.

Of course, sweets should be in moderation as well:

Pr 25:16  Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.

The battle rages among nutritionists still, though low-carbs seems to be the consensus right now.  Of course, the Bible does not consider vegetable fat (the good kind), so perhaps the advice is still the best, huh?  So there you have it - cut out the fatty meats (go lean) to avoid the cholesterol and eat sweets in moderation.  Sounds good to me.

Now excuse me while I have my moderate sweets.  :-)

No comments: