Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Rt. 66, Stop 1. Four Heroes

The story of Genesis encompasses about 2400 years. That is longer than from the founding of Rome until the present day. It is about as long as the period between the Great Flood and the birth of Christ.

It seems strange when people. Argue that the first part of the story, being two thirds of the time, should be passed off as a myth. Jesus treated Adam and Eve were truly the first parents. He should know, for his preincarnate presence was there. Some sixteen and a half centuries later, Noah was called on to save a tiny remnant--his own family--becoming the first "hero" of note in the history as in came unraveled around him. Humanity was given a second chance.

Then came Abram born soon after the grandfather of all living died. Until recently I thought naming a child the equivalent of "Exalted Father" was odd. But for 350 years, Noah had been venerated, most likely even living in Ur.  Perhaps the name was reflective of the Hero from the Flood. Already an old man, Abram became Abram, the father of those who believe.

The third hero was an unlikely choice--a coniving scoundrel who cheated his older and ran for his life, never seeing his mother again. In a strange turn of events, his misfortune yielded 12 sons of four women.. These boys would become tribal leaders of which would become a unified people for 120 years. Jacob, the coniver, would hold his family together up through some hard times. If it had not been for his favorite son, Joseph, the savior of Egypt.

Genesis was a continuous story, from the Garden to a codon in Egypt.

2 comments:

Diwakar said...

Hello Bro.Henry Martin. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about you being Deacon at Second Presbyterian Church. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying of one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your young people come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered New year 2018

Henry Martin said...

Thank you, Diwakar, for you kind words. Since I received my Ministerial training almost 50 years ago, I have not been blessed with the opportunity to pastor the people of God here in Greenville. After many years, I was nominated and elected to be a deacon and got to serve as an ordained deacon (meaning "minister"!) for about 8 years, before opting to turn over that ministry to younger men. Though not serving now, I remain "ordained" awaiting to be chosen by friends and the church family to elect me when they see in me what I don't see in myself.

The Presbyterian system is somewhat structured to "weed out" those who don't add to the efficient work of the church. Sadly, I am not presently adding significantly to the ministry here in South Carolina. Officially retired, though, I am available, if not active, to serve when needed.

May God bless your ministry half way around the world. Have a blessed 2018.